Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Boys: Backstory

We recently adopted two pet bunnies, whom I affectionately refer to as "The Boys." Here's the story of their joining our household:

I grew up with rabbits and left them at home when I came to school in BG. As time has passed, all of my home bunnies have gone to rabbit heaven. For quite some time, I'd been begging Jesse to let me have a bunny, but he insisted that our two bedroom apartment could not fit any pets (touche). For graduation, Jesse took me to Build-a-Bear and made me a bunny. Neville Longears has been with us since December and I've loved him much in that short time, but I still desired a live bunny.

Then came "The E-Commerce Pet Rescue Sqad." My coworkers are both pet rescuers. One is in denial because she doesn't want to become "the cat lady," but if you ask anyone else, her fate is sealed. A few weeks ago, my other coworker (who has also rescued a cat and took personal responsibility for the well-being of a stray dog who wandered onto the company property) came into the office and said that a black bunny was hopping around outside the apartment complex. We were immediately concerned because a black bunny is a domestic bunny and wouldn't stand a chance outside.

Naturally, not being able to leave work, I called Jesse and kindly asked him if he would walk to my coworker's apartment building (I had the car at work with me) with a box and attempt to catch the bunny. Meanwhile, my coworker decided to contact our office manager and request to leave work to go assist Jesse. So Jesse met my coworker for the first time on a pet rescue mission. The bunny hopped away...at which point Jesse discovered a cage with an open door...

Well I got to thinking. We got on petfinder.com at work and I found a picture of "Cocoa," a mini lop bunny at the Hancock County Humane Society. After realizing that Hancock Co. is a kill shelter, I immediately called Jesse and asked if I could adopt "Cocoa."

He agreed...and then I was on the website again and I saw an adorable lionhead bunny named "Humpty" (he came in with Dumpty...how unfortunate...I had to help). Jesse said I could only have one but I showed him the picture and he was sold.

Jesse went down to Hancock County while I was at work and met the bunnies. He brought them home and after initial personality assessment, we renamed "Cocoa" Padfoot and "Humpty" Ron. Now we have three boys: Neville, Padfoot, and Ron (NPR).

No comments: