
It's been a busy couple of weeks and since I currently lack the time and energy (and since I just got four websites assigned to me at work today and oddly I'm not in the web writing mood anymore), here's a whirlwind tour:
I spent last week in Chicago with my department at the Internet Retailer Conference living it up with the suits and skirts, getting lost in Chicago on foot at night, and worst of all, networking. It was interesting though, and I gained some SEO knowledge despite most conversations being entirely over my head.
Meanwhile, Jesse - who has been job-searching for months - got so desperate that he applied for a position as administrative assistant to a property manager (he just got out of property managing in May). They called him and scheduled an interview the same day he faxed his resume and cover letter. He also received a call that day from First Step Family Violence Intervention Center, a domestic violence shelter and education facility in Fostoria. He had applied for the job about three weeks before hearing anything. One of our friends told him about it, but the position hadn't been posted and funding was up in the air.
Jesse interviewed for the property managing job and was offered it the same day. He asked for a week to think about the position because he had an interview with First Step scheduled, but they of course wanted to know by the end of the weekend. So naturally, Jesse accepted Monday, worked his first day on Tuesday, interviewed at First Step on Wednesday, was offered that job on the spot, then went back to the property manager and quit.
Currently, I'm back at my desk writing endless copy while Jesse is fulfilling his two weeks to the property manager. He's having a surprisingly good experience there but is looking forward to being a part of something bigger at First Step. He'll be working to build a program to educate and treat male domestic violence victims and offenders. (And I'm the one that wants to get an MSW...ah well.)
This weekend we're planning on heading to Yellow Springs to celebrate our anniversary since our actual anniversary will be spent tent-camping with the rest of the Kauffman family en route to Seattle. I'm ready to get out of BG...for non-work purposes, that is.
3 comments:
I'm so happy for Jesse! I was really hoping he would get that job with First Step--I think it will be perfect for him.
Also, have a good anniversary in Yellow Springs :) Our road trip there was some of the most fun I've ever had.
...drove to chicago...
Great update. It'll be interesting to see how the First Steps position develops... How far is the commute?
Post a Comment