Thursday, May 22, 2008

"News from Lake Wobegon"

It's official: I'm not cool.

Not that I ever honestly believed that I was, but there was the slight hope for a time. Not anymore. I've realized this week that I am not now, nor will I ever be, cool. Here's why:

I moved into my new office last Friday, as I've previously blogged. Monday, my assistant - a fellow English B.A. - moved into the office. We promptly created literary quotes to hang on the wall, talked about how much we both miss school, and brought in a radio to play continuous NPR.

This morning we were having a conversation when over the radio came a sweet prelude that I have long missed: the opening bars of the Writer's Almanac theme. We stopped mid-sentence and listened intently as Garrison Keillor read us a poem and fed us with nutrients of literary insight for a glorious five minutes.

Then it was over. And I realized: I am not cool...

...But I do have NPR in my office, so I'm completely fine with it.

*Note: I did a google image search of Garrison Keillor to illustrate this post. I had never seen him before. There's a reason he's in radio. I'll honor that decision of his.

3 comments:

marty said...

"Cool" is really over rated... at least that's what i've heard.

Kristin said...

And yet, these are all reasons why I think you're cool. Shrug.

dkozy said...

I spent my entire childhood thinking that Garrison Keiller's face was hideen witha rustic beard and his wardrode consisted only of red flannel shirts. When his movie premiered last year, I was shocked to discover the truth.